Search engine optimisation has evolved rapidly in 2015 and in 2016 also we expect many developments that will require the marketers to be alert and agile, in order to maintain their page ranks. On page optimisation will continue to remain one of the main focuses of the SEO experts.
On page optimisation refers to the technical changes you implement on the pages of your website or blog to move them up in the search rankings.
Here are some of the aspects of on-page optimisation which we expect to remain important in 2016 and would like you to pay attention to.
- Title: the title of your web page or blog post is crucial because it is one of the first things that search engines look at. Keep it limited to 70 characters, ensure that the keyword is present at the beginning of the title tag and do not use stop words that the bots have difficulty in understanding.
- Permalink: The Permalink or the URL of the page should be well structured, and preferably short. It should contain the keyword at the beginning. Avoid using special characters, symbol or any other unacceptable character that the search engines cannot understand properly.
- Keyword: do some research to find a keyword which is often searched but has low competition. As mentioned earlier, place the keyword strategically in the URL, title and body of the page. However, avoid keyword stuffing, i.e. Using the keyword too many times in the page. Ideally, the keyword density should be less than 2.5% of the total number of words contained in the page.
- Heading: the different headings on a page, i.e. H1, H2, H3 allow you to format the page in a better way, and also makes it easier for search engines to understand the page better. The keyword should appear in the headings. However, over usage of the headers might get your page penalised by the search engines.
- Meta tags: there is some debate amongst the SEO experts regarding how important meta tags are as ranking signals. However, as a best practice, you should write easy to understand meta descriptions which are less than 160 characters in length and contain the focus keywords for the page.
- Images: images are going to be an important images are going to be an important way of attracting traffic to your website in 2016, so you should add interesting images to every blog post. Do not forget to add an appropriate ALT text to every image that you add.
- Link to Related content: when you write a blog, do not forget to guide the user’s to related articles on your website by placing appropriate links in the posts. This will ensure that the visitors spend more time on your website since their experience of visiting your blog will go up manifolds.
- Content: content is the backbone of every website or blog and it should be interesting, engaging and written for the right audience. A well-researched and informative content goes a long way in improving the on page SEO of every website.
Related Post: 5 Content Marketing Trends To Watch In 2016